Ceramic (Zirconia) dental implants
Ceramic dental implants are a relatively recent development in the field of implant dentistry.
Ceramic dental implants are particularly suitable for individuals who have metal allergies (e.g. titanium) or who desire a metal-free solution for missing teeth.
Benefits of Zirconia implants
- Zirconia implants are constructed entirely from metal-free zirconium oxide ceramic material. The body does not reject zirconia implants, and they integrate optimally into the jawbone.
- Zirconia implants are hypoallergenic, making them well-tolerated even by individuals with allergies to titanium or nickel.
- In addition, due to their white color, zirconia implants provide a more aesthetic appearance compared to titanium implants. This is particularly beneficial for individuals with thin, pale gums that are more prone to recession. In contrast, titanium implants can sometimes result in a visible gray line along the junction between the crown and the gum.
- Unlike titanium implants, zirconia implants do not emit any substances into the surrounding tissues when in the presence of other metals such as amalgam fillings, crowns, or metal alloy bridges.
- Finally, the reduced potential for bacterial growth on the surface of zirconia implants contributes to improved gum health around the implant area.