Ceramic implants are a newer form of implant and are an alternative to the titanium implants. The advantages of zirconium implants:
- Zirconium implants are metal-free and entirely made of zirconium oxide ceramics, which is a very biocompatible material (our body does not reject it) and offers optimum bone ingrowth.
- They are hypo-allergenic and therefore suitable for persons allergic to titanium.
- Due to their white colour, they are more aesthetic than titanium implants; this is particularly evident in people with a thin and translucent gum, which is more susceptible to withdrawal; consequently, the titanium implants may show a grey edge between the edge of the crown and the gum.
- Zirconium is a bio compact material that is not released into the surrounding tissues. In contrast, titanium implants, if there is another metal in the mouth (for example, an amalgam filler, a crown or a bridge from a metal alloy) are released into surrounding tissues.
- Because zirconium is non-abrasive and an electrically neutral, it is significantly less likely to grow bacteria on its surface and therefore the gums around the implant are significantly healthier.
If you are allergic to metal (titanium) or if you want a non-toxic replacement of a missing tooth, zirconium implants are the best alternative to titanium implants.